Ex. 26:1 Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them.
Ex. 26:2 The length of one curtain shall be eight and twenty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and every one of the curtains shall have one measure.
Ex. 26:3 The five curtains shall be coupled together one to another; and other five curtains shall be coupled one to another.
Ex. 26:4 And thou shalt make loops of blue upon the edge of the one curtain from the selvedge in the coupling; and likewise shalt thou make in the uttermost edge of another curtain, in the coupling of the second.
Ex. 26:5 Fifty loops shalt thou make in the one curtain, and fifty loops shalt thou make in the edge of the curtain that is in the coupling of the second; that the loops may take hold one of another.
Ex. 26:6 And thou shalt make fifty taches of gold, and couple the curtains together with the taches: and it shall be one tabernacle.
Ex. 26:7 And thou shalt make curtains of goats’ hair to be a covering upon the tabernacle: eleven curtains shalt thou make.
Ex. 26:8 The length of one curtain shall be thirty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and the eleven curtains shall be all of one measure.
Ex. 26:9 And thou shalt couple five curtains by themselves, and six curtains by themselves, and shalt double the sixth curtain in the forefront of the tabernacle.
Ex. 26:10 And thou shalt make fifty loops on the edge of the one curtain that is outmost in the coupling, and fifty loops in the edge of the curtain which coupleth the second.
Ex. 26:11 And thou shalt make fifty taches of brass, and put the taches into the loops, and couple the tent together, that it may be one.
Ex. 26:12 And the remnant that remaineth of the curtains of the tent, the half curtain that remaineth, shall hang over the backside of the tabernacle.
Ex. 26:13 And a cubit on the one side, and a cubit on the other side of that which remaineth in the length of the curtains of the tent, it shall hang over the sides of the tabernacle on this side and on that side, to cover it.
1) There were ten curtains of finely twisted linen.
2) They were blue, purple and scarlet.
3) Cherubim figures were woven throughout the fabric. (They must have been given a pattern to represent the look of the cherubim.)
4) The curtains were all the same size—42’ long x 6’ wide.
5) They were joined together in two sets of five—42’ long x 60’ wide total.
6) There were 50 blue loops on the edges of the end curtains in each set.
7) Fifty gold clasps were used to fasten the loops together.
8) Eleven curtains of goat hair would cover the linen curtains; one set of five and one set of six. The goat hair curtains were larger than the linen curtains.
9) This would provide an overlap at the entrance and at the back and would hang longer than the linen curtains to protect them.
10) They would have 50 loops on the edges of the end curtains in each set.
11) They would be connected with brass taches (hooks).
12) The beauty of the tabernacle is only revealed on the inside.
Another good observation by David Guzik, “…plans for the tabernacle were revealed to Moses from the inside out….just as in us.”
Ex. 26:14 And thou shalt make a covering for the tent of rams’ skins dyed red, and a covering above of badgers’ skins.
Two more protective coverings were to be made for the tent—one of rams’ skins dyed red and one of badgers’ skins.
We are covered by the blood of Jesus.
Ex. 26:15 And thou shalt make boards for the tabernacle of shittim wood standing up.
Ex. 26:16 Ten cubits shall be the length of a board, and a cubit and a half shall be the breadth of one board.
Ex. 26:17 Two tenons shall there be in one board, set in order one against another: thus shalt thou make for all the boards of the tabernacle.
Ex. 26:18 And thou shalt make the boards for the tabernacle, twenty boards on the south side southward.
Ex. 26:19 And thou shalt make forty sockets of silver under the twenty boards; two sockets under one board for his two tenons, and two sockets under another board for his two tenons.
Ex. 26:20 And for the second side of the tabernacle on the north side there shall be twenty boards:
Ex. 26:21 And their forty sockets of silver; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board.
Ex. 26:22 And for the sides of the tabernacle westward thou shalt make six boards.
Ex. 26:23 And two boards shalt thou make for the corners of the tabernacle in the two sides.
Ex. 26:24 And they shall be coupled together beneath, and they shall be coupled together above the head of it unto one ring: thus shall it be for them both; they shall be for the two corners.
Ex. 26:25 And they shall be eight boards, and their sockets of silver, sixteen sockets; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board.
Ex. 26:26 And thou shalt make bars of shittim wood; five for the boards of the one side of the tabernacle,
Ex. 26:27 And five bars for the boards of the other side of the tabernacle, and five bars for the boards of the side of the tabernacle, for the two sides westward.
Ex. 26:28 And the middle bar in the midst of the boards shall reach from end to end.
Ex. 26:29 And thou shalt overlay the boards with gold, and make their rings of gold for places for the bars: and thou shalt overlay the bars with gold.
1) The frames of the tabernacle were to be made of shittim/acacia wood.
2) There were to be 20 boards on the north and south side, each board measuring 15’ high x 27” wide.
3) Each board was to have two projections parallel to each other.
4) Each frame was to have two silver bases—one under each projection.
5) The west side of the tabernacle was to have six frames.
6) Each corner was to have double frames—for a total of 8 frames and 16 silver bases at the west end.
7) There were to be crossbars of shittim wood—five crossbars each for the frames on the south, north, and west. The center crossbar is to extend from end to end at the middle of the frames.
8) The boards and crossbars are to be overlaid with gold.
9) The crossbars were to be held in place by gold rings.
Ex. 26:30 And thou shalt rear up the tabernacle according to the fashion thereof which was shewed thee in the mount.
The tabernacle was to be put together according to the pattern God had shown Moses on the mountain.
Ex. 26:31 And thou shalt make a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen of cunning work: with cherubims shall it be made:
Ex. 26:32 And thou shalt hang it upon four pillars of shittim wood overlaid with gold: their hooks shall be of gold, upon the four sockets of silver.
Ex. 26:33 And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy.
Ex. 26:34 And thou shalt put the mercy seat upon the ark of the testimony in the most holy place.
1) Another fine linen curtain of blue, purple and scarlet with a cherubim pattern was to be made and used to separate the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place.
2) This curtain is to hang on four posts of shittim wood overlaid with gold using gold hooks.
3) The posts are to stand in silver bases.
4) The ark of the testimony is to be put in the Most Holy Place.
5) The mercy seat was to go on top of the ark of the testimony.
Ex. 26:35 And thou shalt set the table without the vail, and the candlestick over against the table on the side of the tabernacle toward the south: and thou shalt put the table on the north side.
Ex. 26:36 And thou shalt make an hanging for the door of the tent, of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen, wrought with needlework.
Ex. 26:37 And thou shalt make for the hanging five pillars of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold, and their hooks shall be of gold: and thou shalt cast five sockets of brass for them.
1) The table was to go outside the Holy of Holies on the north side, and the lampstand opposite it on the south side.
2) The entrance to the tent was to be a curtain of fine linen of blue, purple and scarlet.
3) The curtain would be held by five posts of shittim wood overlaid with gold standing in five brass bases using gold hooks.
1) Blue, purple and scarlet appear to be colors of the royalty, power and holiness of God.
2) Scarlet surely must reference the precious blood of Jesus/the sacrifice.
3) I always think of purple with royalty.
4) Blue always makes me think of heaven and peace, and the temple was where the people made their peace with God.
5) Gold makes me think of God’s glory.
6) Silver represents redemption.
7) Brass represents judgment.
8) The inner beauty of the tabernacle was carefully protected from the elements by three coverings. The beauty of the Holy Spirit in our life emerges from the layers of body, soul and spirit.
9) The further away we get from the place of God’s presence, the materials become less valuable. (To me this reflects our lives; the closer we are to Jesus the more valuable our lives will be to others; the further away from Him, the less valuable we are to others.)
10) The place of God’s presence is filled with beauty and valuable items.
11) A curtain/veil separated all from the immediate place of God’s presence. (This veil was torn in two and rendered unnecessary when Christ died on the cross and provided a way of personal access for each believer.)